Thursday, June 12, 2014

Food For Thought





I remember a story my Dad has told ... 

When he was a young boy he was staying at his Grandparents house. He got a glass of milk but didn't end up finishing it. He poured the rest down the sink drain. 
Just then, his Grandfather walked in to see him pour out his un-used milk. 

I don't remember the exact words but It was to the effect of he better not ever do that again - did he know how much work went into getting that glass of milk? 

I feel today their is so much disconnect between where our food comes from and the work that goes into growing/ raising healthy food. When I hear people grumble about the prices of Farmers Market eggs or meat it makes me cringe. 
Do they know the upkeep, time, and of course money that goes into a quality product??
I don't think so.
I look that the farmers behind their booths - dirt still in their nails- and am so thankful that because of what they do I can feed my family with more local product and help teach my kids about where their food comes from. 
Not just Market Basket up the road.

I love the connections I make with each vendor.
This week a rugged old farmer pointed out I wasn't there last week.
To which I replied " Oh I stick out that much? " ( Laughing)
He very matter a fact said
" Well you look about 19 and have a whole bunch of kids following you around so yeah."

He sells the best produce.

Till next week guys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment